Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Why am I spending my time writing a blog called Camp Yavneh Theory anyway?

Camp Yavneh. There is nothing in my life that I am more certain of than my feelings about camp. No matter where or when, with whom or what, hearing the word Yavneh, for the rest of my life, will make me smile. Not a playful smile or a joking smile, but a true love-from-the-bottom-of-my-heart type of smile. Yavneh, to me, is the place where I grew up, and taught me so much about who I am.  It has fostered everlasting friendships and a sense of Jewish pluralism that reinforces my commitment to Judaism. I am the epitome of a guy who lives 10 for 2; those two precious months of the summer motivate me to get through the other ten months of the year.

Camp Yavneh. I have so many cherished memories from this place--moments and songs, chants and jokes -- that are eternally etched in my mind. Early on in my Yavneh career, I learned the meaning of being raided, a song about Bumble Bee Tuna and a secret society called Bubba Love. Later on, I discovered the pleasure of making forts behind B7, the power of Zimriah, and why clowns should not be allowed again at camp. In Maalot, I had to grasp the meaning of deep sorrow with the passing of a friend, but also the exuberance of shigaon and the joy of sweeping Zimriah. In Kerem, I saw my bunkmate turn into a Kool-Aid man, felt a heightened sense of spirituality at aydah-wide tisches, and taught an unforgettable shir plugah to 150 Maccabiah-crazed kids. On Naaleh, I encountered what it is like to not be in camp for a summer, but experienced the feeling of Yavneh welcoming me back when I joined Leviim for the last two weeks. Over the next four years I learned about giving back to this community, having kids of my own, and promoting a bunk and aydah experience that makes everyone want more. And finally, this past year, as Rosh of Kerem 2010, I learned shehakol efshari (that everything is possible) and what it means to truly appreciate: my kids, my staff and my camp.

Camp Yavneh. I ran the gamut.  From Gurim camper to Kerem Rosh. Few people can say that. Few people have that full perspective. I have spent the last 14 summers loving every moment, hoping it would never end. The great thing was that every summer I knew I could go back. Every summer there was new challenge, a new opportunity to inspire and be inspired.  And now, as a 23-year-old graduate student, I know, with sadness, it is time to move on. I wish I could stay young forever, to always have a summer at Yavneh to look forward to, but I know I can’t. Which is why more than anything else, at this moment, before my memories fade and blur into one, it is incredibly important for me to share with you my affection for the place that was my home: a place of refuge, of community, of love.

My plan of action:
Over the next few months I plan on publishing my thoughts about camp. In each post I will try to accomplish three goals:
1. Document stories and short vignettes that relate to the topic at hand. I have no doubt that people will approach these stories from perspectives different from my own. That’s ok. Memories are subjective and will remain that way.
2. Share my Yavneh theory by asking theoretical questions and answering them. I plan on covering five topics, each with multiple subsections:
·      Zimriah/Maccabiah
·      Kerem
·      Relationships
·      Camp change
·      Miscellaneous
3. Discuss aspects of camp that I think can be improved and suggest solutions. I have spent years at camp listening to campers, counselors and staff voice the same problems over and over. These issues can be fixed, and hopefully, I will be able to suggest a good way to accomplish this.

Things not to expect:
            Throughout the course of my discussion I will be using peoples’ names. However, no story of mine will ever make fun of someone else, nor will I expose camp’s or someone else’s secrets. This includes details pertaining to information that campers should not know. I fully hope and expect people of all ages read this, so I know what my limits are.  When I do reference these private aspects of camp through a story, I will not use names and I will only reveal the necessary details to make my point. I will try as hard as I can to respect the integrity of the camp, campers, counselors and upper staff.  In addition, I am not an employee of camp anymore, so anything I say will not reflect the opinions of Camp Yavneh.
 
What I want from the reader:
More than anything, I want to hear your voice. What do you think about my theories? Do you agree or think I am completely off base? I know that I have a lot of Yavneh theory to share, but I know you do too. What makes Yavneh tick as it does? I want you to tell me.

Camp Yavneh. A hobby, a passion, a pastime. Yavneh is a source of pride and joy, for each of us individually as well as for our collective community. It is the place where we grew up and found our lifelong friends. We have come to realize that every summer is a different summer, but every summer is somehow also the best. Every year makes us yearn for the next and compels us to count those 300 days until the end of June comes again. Over the next few months I will give Yavneh one last ounce of my time, thought, energy, and passion. I love camp. And I want to hold on to it for just a little longer.  

3 comments:

  1. Yoni,

    1) I think you are the man--I felt this way even before I read this and now I am all the more sure.
    2) This is really an incredible project! I look forward to reading this blog and I think you are going to be able to put the thoughts and feelings of many of us into words, which is really quite powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow blogger (I write about food) and Yavneh alum, I think this is a cool idea and I look forward to following.

    - Cara (formerly Weber, sister of Jared & Matt)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOni... in advance.. I want to thank you... as someone relatively "NEW" to the Yavneh family, in the long course of things... it is so amazing to read your perspective.. and gives me a wonderful insight into why this place is so incredibly special to everyone touched by it... and I am so fortunate that my children have been touched by all of you who have grown up at Yavneh... and have given back....

    ReplyDelete