Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Meaning of Tradition

On one of the last days of June, you hop into the car/bus/plane with one destination in mind. Your heart races and your stomach does a flipturn with every minute that passes, as you journey on into more and more rural territory. The cows flash by and the cornstalks grow taller, and you know you’re getting close. As you see the sign for Camp Yavneh, your parents make a right turn onto Lower Deerfield Road, the boundary between the outside world and camp. You cross this threshold every year - it signifies the beginning of something great.   As you wait in line to go into camp, the Kerem girls’ counselors greet you. You recall how last year and the year before, the Kerem girls’ counselors are always the greeters. It’s something you’ve come to expect, part of the process of re-entering the camp world. You are then instructed to help the Kerem kids unload your bags into the appropriate pile in Sadeh Yarok, and then you’re sent to get a lice check under the Pavilion. As you walk to your bunk, you pass parents, campers and counselors, some of whom you recognize, others you don’t.  Your facial expression mirrors that of the other campers around you – a mixture of disbelief, pure excitement, and a hint of nerves. It’s the same every year.

The second you get through that screen door to your bunk, you encounter a mad house: parents trying to set up their kids’ areas, campers nervously meeting and happily reuniting, and counselors running around, trying to appease the parents. After all the parents have left, your counselor tells you to go down for Mifkad.   As you walk down the boys/girls path,find your place in line, and begin singing the Star Spangled Banner, it finally hits you. “I am in camp. I am ready for the start of the summer.”   The first day of camp – the first hour, even –has become a tradition for each of us, one that we take part in individually but we experience collectively.  It is a series of events that we expect every summer. The first-day-of-camp tradition opens up a summer full of traditions that define those 8 crucial weeks of the year.

It is tradition, Masoret, culture, attitude, or custom that keeps our camp, and every other camp, cohesive and comforting. If camp were a human, the buildings, programs and people would make up the body  but the history, customs, and traditions would represent the soul. Buildings are torn down and rebuilt, programs succeed and fail, and the people come and go, but  masoret is the thread of continuity that preserves Yavneh’s integrity and identity. We love camp because it is constant, reliable and dependable. We know Zimriyah happens first month, and Maccabiah second, and we know on Shabbat we get brownies before davening, and M&M cookies at seudat shelishit, and we know about the birthday Eurovision song, and “bumbumbumbum good Shabbas.” We love the consistency, the tradition. It’s like watching our favorite movie over and over again. It’s the same thing, but it never gets old.

It’s not only the intangible things, but the physical ones as well. Debbie Sussman recently told me a story about someone asking her when she was planning to redo the Kerem boys’ bunk. She didn’t tell me what she answered, but she did reveal that this person had never attended Yavneh. The Kerem/Maalot boys’ bunks are so enriched in years of tradition, which makes living on waterfront so special. It is not about living close to the middle of camp (even though this helps as well) that makes it so popular. It’s about knowing and valuing the sacredness of the building. I call this the phenomenon of ‘looking up.’

What do I mean by ‘looking up?’ As most people know, the Kerem and Maalot bunks contain names from the 1960s and plaques from the 1980s. When the kids arrive, they feel honored to be able to sleep in the same place past members of Kerem and Maalot slept. So what do the kids do? They read, reread, and re-reread every single plaque in these buildings.[1] They represent a portal into the past, a “synopsis” of that particular year. To creators and the readers of the plaque, this is what Yavneh represents, the names and the memories of past campers.

However, not all traditions are created equal, and a lot of them serve different purposes. I have divided camp tradition into three categories.

The first group consists of everything that falls into the subject of camp history. These are the stories, memories, camp lore, and conversations about camp. This is what the plaque represents to the Kerem campers, why people debate which year was the best Kerem ever, and is the only aspect of camp to which people can hold onto outside of the summer. My blog certainly fits into this category as well.  From a philosophical standpoint, tradition includes talking about camp customs and rituals just asthe foundation of Judaism is retelling the story of our ancestors. Therefore, I feel that the act of conversation revolving camp is part of the tradition.

The second category to camp tradition is everything relating to the mission of our camp. This is not limited to the five-paragraph mission that is on the camp website, even though this is important as well. Within the definition of Camp Yavneh I am including big programs like Maccabiah, Zimriayah, and KTV. Here, I’m including defining Jewish characteristics like pluralism, Shabbat, and our dedication to our heritage. This also encompasses the structure of our aydot, the daily grind of our schedule and our dedication to freedom and responsibility.  I would finally include the intangibles like building unshakeable friendships, the desire to remain consistent and just simply having fun. Without these traditions, these goals, Camp Yavneh would cease to be the camp that I know, that I love, that I cherish.

The final category, which most people identify as real camp traditions, are what I call memes. According to Wikipedia, a meme (rhymes with cream) “identifies ideas or beliefs that are transmitted from one person or group of people to another. The name comes from an analogy: as genes transmit biological information, memes can be said to transmit idea and belief information.”  There are a billion aspects of camp that are passed down from one summer to the next, from one generation to the next. Smaller ones include the counselor rad hayom, the Naaleh letter and M&M cookies. Larger ones include Relish, Havdalah, and a$$ ball. Newer ones encompass Tzipori, Mar Milon and the Yavnotes, where older ones include Kerem leading Zmirot, Yom Sport, and the Kerem play.  All of these things and countless others define each summer. As in the case of the older traditions, it might define ten, twenty or even the thirty summers in a row. However, the beauty of a meme is that once you are handed the idea, information or tradition, it is yours to own, and yours to change (on purpose or by accident). A tradition might be a particular way one year, and completely different another year - and that is perfectly alright.  For example, I was talking to a member from Kerem ‘05 who did not return to camp as counselor, and he asked about a$$ ball. I told him the rules about the bounces and touches, the fact that people play during the day, and the fact that it is mostly played with shoes. His response was something along the lines of, “It’s too bad, because when I was in Kerem, we played it a better way. This new way is totally wrong.” I disagree. Camp in 2005 is not camp in 2011. The campers and counselors of 2011 have  every right to take ownership of their summer and morph Yavneh into a better place. We must be able to recognize and appreciate that every year camp traditions change – and this is fine, natural, and good.

We need traditions at camp to provide continuity from summer to summer. But we need to realize that it is expected for our traditions to change each summer and facilitate growth. From year to year, the things we hold dear will not disappear[2] because that is what contributes to the good of camp. The structure of Mifkad might change a little bit, but I hope that the sense of the camp gathering every morning and evening will not. The superfluous parts of the memes will disappear, just as human genes evolved to dictate how we behave today.

I will never go back to camp and say I am upset about a changed tradition. I will be perfectly content to return to a camp where the everyday traditions are unfamiliar to me. My camp will always be in my heart, but my perception of camp is only mine; I should not be the one telling others what is good or bad about camp. As long as people are still telling and retelling Yavneh history and the camp continues to live up to its mission, Camp Yavneh will be my home. And as long as campers continue to get that jittery feeling of anticipation as they round the corner of Lower Deerfield Road on that fateful first day – the very same feeling I got each of the thirteen years I returned - I’ll know that Yavneh is not too far off from the place I know and love.


[1] EDITOR’S NOTE: “The looking up phenomenon happens in girls' bunks too. It’s actually even more interesting because up until recently, the Kerem girls’ bunk changed year to year, so there are plaques all over the place. Because the plaques are so widespread in the girls' area, it can be argued that the looking up phenomenon starts even earlier than Maalot in the girls area.” I agree.
[2] Yes, the rhymes and the reference to On and On is on purpose. 

12 comments:

  1. It's interesting to hear the "traditions" of arriving at camp. I went to camp on the bus every year after Gurim (which I hardly remember), so my experiences in that area are totally different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I've already read this entry about 5 times in the past month, but I really really like it. There's something so cool about shared experiences between someone who went to camp decades ago and someone at camp today. You don't have to have been at camp while you (Yoni) were there to know exactly what you're talking about.

    Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want you to know that it took me a really long time to figure out how to read the word a$$. I FINALLY got it though, since I'm super smart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, being a staff brat for every single one of my years as a camper, I NEVER entered camp for the first day through lower Deerfield Rd. and Sadeh Yarok was not even there when I was a camper, so my memories are slightly different, but still the same. Even when I visit camp now just for a weekend, the excitement ALWAYS starts when I pass that farm on Route 43 right before the sharp turn, the farm with the silo. And I always get my first glimpse of camp (Debbie's house area) from the road outside camp. Didn't really realize until now that most people's first glimpse of camp is from the inside, not the outside -- strange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) laurel, superb editing job. just wanted to put that out there. i hope it is no secret.

    2) Yoni, I agree it is important to strike a balance between traditions which are constant and those which evolve from summer to summer. One aspect you did not discuss a whole lot which I'm curious to hear your take on is the extent to which some traditions are or are not tied to particular individuals. Obviously, as individuals grow up, move on and eventually leave camp yavneh, some of the traditions they started remain but are they REALLY the same? I'm thinking of Avi Zablocki's stories, as an example. It is strange to me that a new generation of campers will never know the very unique feeling of avi zablocki getting up to tell a friday night story, or singing al naharot babel or shouting "Eurovision, let's go" in the chadar ochel. Clearly, the moving on of individuals is inevitable and certainly certain aspects have lingered--a member of tzevet morim, generally, (although increasingly madrichim, campers, and roshe ayda have gotten the chance which perhaps they wouldn't have had rabbi avi not left) still tells a story on friday night and there is still lots of singing and dancing in the chadar ochel (this summer, I believe I got to sing al naharot babel in a quartet, something i would have never dreamed of if avi zablocki were still in camp)...but, what are you thoughts, generally speaking, on the relationship between camp masoret and particular individuals? Can the habitual actions of an indivdual him/herself be considered masoret or is masoret by definition something that is bigger than one individual?

    ReplyDelete
  6. obviously, this question is open to everyone, not just yoni

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I agree traditions morph and that's not always a bad thing, it's interesting you bring up assball. One of the major reasons the traditions around assball changed was because upper staff didn't allow for it to be played barefoot, etc

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeebs -

    I am a little confused about what you are arguing. Are you saying that the rule change of a$$ball was made in the first place? Or are you saying that the rule change should be discredited because upperstaff was behind it?

    I will answer both questions because I think both of them are valid.

    The sacredness of this game is such that every year the Kerem Banim pass it down to the Maalot Banim. There are no written rules, no 'higher authority' in which to consult. Therefore, it is really up to the collective memory of that particular Kerem to teach them the way that they think is correct. If the rules change, so be it. That is what the sport is to them, and that is what it will continue to be until the next aydah has the opportunity to pass it along.

    The second question is a little bit deeper, and it involves a general attitude that people have toward upperstaff. Now, I am not defending anyone's actions here, and I am certainly not picking sides in general, but I would like to pose the question of what benefit would it give upper staff to intentionally 'make a$$ball worse?' Do they care what the Maalot and Kerem boys do with their freetime? As much as people hate to believe, there is not a conspiracy theory out there that has upperstaff trying to do whatever they can to inhibit the kids from having a good summer. Logically, for so many reasons, this makes sense.

    Now when it comes to a$$ball I think the legitimate issue here is safety. I don't remember if upperstaff even made the rule (the kids just might be smart themselves) but I will operate under the pretenses that upperstaff made this rule. Remember, kids aren't allowed to walk around barefoot so why should upperstaff be inconsistent and allow the Maalot and Kerem kids? When the tradition wasn't to play with shoes I remember my bunkmates (In particular Dan Weininger) and I getting huge blisters on our feet. It just not healthy, and even if we acknowledge that our feet will eventually heal, it is almost impossible to play the game while your feet are bloodied. From my perspective it is was a stupid tradition, that I am very happy is out of the game. As a responsible adult I would feel horrible watching my kids play a$$ball and seeing them writher in pain when the return from the court.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yoni-- love the blog post.

    The centrality of tradition and continuity at camp that you touch upon in your writing reminds me of an experience I had this past summer.

    As any Yavneh vatik (veteran) knows, the bowling alley bunk was one of the boys area treasures. For me it was a very special place, as it was the home for my Levi'im summer, and last in the area before moving to the waterfront. Accordingly, seeing that the bunk had been demolished upon my return to camp in 2008 was a very sad moment for me. There was nothing intrinsically special about the building that I missed, but rather the names, plaques, and history that it once housed. In its standing was built a state of the art new bunk, that has established the new paradigm for what Yavneh bunks will look like-- fully equipped with insulation, ceiling fans, and showers.

    Going back to camp for me that summer was difficult for me not because of what I saw around me, but rather due to what was not present, that which was missing. Admittedly, I was one of those people that disapproved of change within the machaneh Yavneh landscape.

    Nevertheless, one Friday afternoon this past summer, I had an experience that has since altered my mindset. I was doing my regular rounds through the boys area with Jacob Wolf-- ensuring that Kerem were adequately in control of their bunks while the rest of staff met in the Bet Midrash. Walking by the bunks, I recall reminiscing over all the great times I had growing up at camp. It was as if every step I took reminded me of a different memory. I remembered playing roof ball (a VERY modified version of baseball) outside what is known as the lodge bunk; Or, playing gaga inside one of the “pit bunks”; and, of course, how could I forget the epic water balloon fights that were battled out next to the shower house. Then I walked inside the new bunk.

    Everywhere I looked around the bunk I saw children playing. Some sat together, peacefully playing magic cards with one another on the floor. Others could be spotted jumping around, ferociously, to no avail, trying to dunk a Nerf ball into the plastic hoop that had been nailed above the door post. And some simply lay tranquilly reading on their beds. Regardless how, they were all creating memories that would stick with them for a lifetime. The bunk was theirs. Yea, they all knew that a new group of kids would move in next year, and a different bunch the year after. But, for that very moment it belonged solely to them. It was a place that, for now, they could proudly call home.

    Still deep down longing to return to the bowling-alley bunk, I at last realized that it was no longer about me. It was their turn. Their time.

    When it comes down to it, my yearning for the bowling-alley bunk was inextricably tied to a fantasy of returning to that oasis of youth that markedly emblemized my childhood. The absence of the bunk made me realize that this was in fact nothing more than a fantasy.

    This, in my mind, is the most difficult thing for any counselor. Realizing that camp is no longer about me. Internalizing that our jobs as madrichim is to facilitate an experience and summer that will cultivate lasting memories for our campers.

    As hard as it may be to accept for us older Yavneh members, sometimes change is the necessary impetus to creating the environment most conducive to that elusively unforgettable summer. While we may lose those places that we once held sacred, their absence paves the way for new spaces that will be a forever special home for the next generation of chanichim.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully written Josh, I couldnt agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Josh Basseches-

    I think your question is fantastic. I was only delaying a bit to see if anyone else wanted to respond, but alas, it is my blog, and I guess I will give my input first.

    I think there are two different types of traditions associated with people: things that we can we repeat once that person is gone/moved on to another job, and two things that are so inexplicably tied to the person, that it will cease once that person leaves camp.

    A few examples to illustrate my point. David Bratspis in 05 (I think) as Rosh Da'at created the tradition of after Maariv on Friday night, that we would get up in front of the camp and do from the bucket to the basin routine. It was certainly a David Bratspis thing to begin with, but as he moved on from Rosh Da'at the tradition stuck. Similarly, Even though Avi Zablocki isn't there anymore, people can still sing Al Naharot Bavel. That tradition as well lives on.

    However, somethings live and die with the person who does it. Using Avi Zablocki again, all of his antics in the Chadar Ochel will be missed, mostly because all of the subsequent DJ's wont be able to reproduce what he did. Similarly, traditions usually associated with particular campers or particular aydot, are traditions for themselves, but not necessarily for the camp as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  12. joshie, TRUE DAT. Yoni, thanks for the response. I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete