Monday, December 20, 2010

Zimriyah. Why has it changed?

Zimriyah.  It is by far the most anticipated event of first month, either because you absolutely love or hate it. It amazes me that, as a camp, we have such a hard time motivating campers to enjoy a peulah of shira, but we can get campers to sit down for hours and hours over the course of first month to memorize 3 songs complete with hand-motions, stand-ups and sit-downs. It is one of the few times through the whole summer that we treat Gurim like they are a legitimate aydah,[1] and Zimriyah is often the focal point of a camper’s summer. But Zimriyah has not always looked like what we know it to be now. 

People sometimes ask, when did Zimriyah turned into what it looks like today?

In 2010, one of PJ’s[i] jobs after coming back from Naaleh was to transfer the old Zimriyah recordings and other camp videos from tapes to DVDs. Yavneh wanted to be able to watch their old videos on more modern viewing devices. I noticed something amazing while PJ and I watched the videos. Even just 10-15 years ago Zimriyah looked very different. The songs were a lot simpler, there were no extra ‘wow factors’ embedded in the songs (including no H/S[2]), and the hand motions consisted of arm swinging and occasionally putting hands on neighbors shoulders. Frankly, there was little energy compared to what we see today. Even in 2002 when I was in Leviim, I remember learning the hand motions to our best song Henei Matov.[3] The hand motions were: raise your right hand, raise your left hand, lower your right hand, lower your left hand, clap. Pretty pathetic. Even Kfirim cannot get away with such mundane hand motions anymore.  To make matters worse, in Leviim ‘02, we didn’t even know the words to our Shir Yisraeli. How then, in 2010, do we have a Zimriyah in which Leviim and Kerem mashed up a number of popular songs, where Kfirim had soloists for every song, and where Arayot had a solid performance but didn’t place at all?[4] I attribute this to three factors that has sparked change in Zimriyah:

1.       Aydot like Kerem ‘03 and songs like Maalot ‘01’s “Like a Prayer”.
2.       The music that teenagers are listening to as well as YouTube sensationalism.
3.       Change in the camp mentality which has made Zimriyah a more central component of the summer, leading to more time-consuming and rigorous practice sessions..  

For now, I won’t go into much detail about the first and third points since I will return to them later. However, Kerem ‘03 as an aydah and the performance of “Like a Prayer” by Maalot ‘01 revolutionized how Zimriyah is performed. Kerem ‘03 was about style and creativity. Even though in any given year, they were not always the dominant aydah, they always brought something new, imaginative and original to the table. Their hand-motions were consistently fantastic; they exuded a confidence and happiness that set them apart from their competitors. This pushed other adyot to follow suit, realizing that the best way to win was not with monotonous arm hand motions and singing Yerushalim Shel Zahav.[5]

In the same light, “Like a Prayer” changed the simple method of composing a Shir Aydah: find a singable song, write Hebrew words, use the original arrangement, throw in a few hand motions, and you’re done. Even though it wasn’t officially a medley or a mash up,[6] “Like a Prayer” resembled something of the sort because of all of the added elements to the song. It was fantastic.

I believe that a major contribution to this change in Zimriyah is the content that kids and counselors watch and listen to while they are not in camp. Musical artists these days are pushing the envelope for visual sensationalism by combining music and art, and for the first time ever, we have 24/7 access to them on Youtube. One of the reasons Lady Gaga is so popular is because of her outlandish music videos that music is not only about verse and chorus. Similarly, artists like GirlTalk do exactly what I will argue makes for the best type of shir aydah. Extract elements of different songs, mash them together, and create an original work of art. In this era of mass media and free distribution, kids have access to all the tools they need to create art of their own. Counselors and Kerem see this, and try to do it, to a lesser extent, for their aydot. 

Finally, camp itself has undergone monumental changes over the past ten years. The types of campers that it attracts, and the overall mentality of these campers and those who run the camp, are more geared towards active participation in camp activities. Kids who do well socially are the ones who enthusiastically take part in camp activities, not the ones who skip them. This is the reason why adyot can have Zimriyah practice every day, sometimes for two peulot back to back, why we pay someone to come to camp to record us sing, and why my campers in 2008 were willing to learn a hat dance.[7] We explore and experiment beyond what is expected of us in the hopes of wowing our peers and achieving a status of excellence that will go down in Yavneh history. Overall, Zimriyah is far better than it was just 10 years ago and I hope when I visit in 10 years, it will have grown even more.



[1] According to the my rankings, that will be explained in a later subsection, they actually outperform Kfirim and Arayot
[2] Harmonies and Solos. I use this term a lot so I have abbreviated it.
[3] We ended up being the only aydah not to place for that category because of a three-way tie for 3rd. This prompted a joke at Parsha Players where they said “Everyone’s a winner at Machaneh Yavneh…except for Leviim”
[4] This fact is debatable, but at least they weren’t horrible like Arayot usually is.
[5] Performed three times over the past 10 years. There has to be some rule about limiting this. 
[6] The distinction between medley and mash-up: a medley is when you take a bunch of songs and put them together, however, you only sing one song at a time. Some examples are Maalot ‘05 Car Wash etc. medley or Maalot ‘07 Beatles medley. I would even consider Arayot 09’s All The Above etc. a medley. Even though they use “All The Above” as the chorus, they still only sing one song at a time. However Leviim ‘10 and Kerem ‘10 both used mash-ups for their shirei aydah.
[7] Epic Fail. More on this later.


[i] Sam Stock, K’09. He is most known by the nickname that ELi Aroesty- Cohen K'00 and K'07 gave him after the hockey player, PJ Stock. His nickname was so popular that Ben Stock M’10 was known as LPJ or Little PJ.

11 comments:

  1. Don't be afraid to post a comment. I want to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we tied for third in shir yisraeli actually yoni. Im questioning some of the accuracy of the rest of this now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noted. According to the spreadsheet about Yavneh that people filled out, it said that Kfirim 02 got 1st place. I was going off of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Beatles medley was Maalot '07 (Kerem '08).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. Just a typo. I will change that

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yoni... as a member of Kerem 03, it's so nice to know that we are positively remembered. Here are my comments and insights:

    I went to Yavneh for 9 years as a camper from 1995-2003, which is the longest you can go as a camper unless you are the child of a staff member (3 years of Gurim, 2 years of Kfirim, Arayot, Leviim, Maalot, Kerem). I was one of few people in my aydah who started in "younger-younger Gurim". I was a first-monther for 8 years and then did the full summer for Kerem, so Zimriya was a very big deal for me.

    My Kerem had quite a good Zimriya track record... in 96 we placed 2nd overall in younger Gurim (Shir Aydah, "Yellow Submarine") not because we were cute little Gurim, but because we were really good. I also think that we placed 3rd overall as younger Kfirim in 1998 (Shir Aydah, "The Cup of Life"). In 2000 I believe we were 2nd overall as Arayot with an amazing Shir Aydah to "Wild Night"... it was written by our counselor, Rachel Guberman (Kerem 98), and I still think it was our best ever shir aydah.

    Maalot 01's "Like A Prayer" was more of a curse than a blessing. They spent so much time rehearsing it that their other 2 songs were very weak. As Leviim 01, we won Zimriya and beat them with our relatively weak shir aydah ("Cecilia") and two excellent songs ("Dovid Melech" and "Boey Dinah"). Two great songs are always better than one! This was our first Zimriya win, and if Maalot had spent less time on that shir aydah and more time on their other songs, it is quite possible that we may not have won.

    We again went on to win as Maalot 02 (Shir Aydah to "Free Ride")... I believe our greatest strength that year was our Shir Yisraeli to "Hello Yaakov," where we acted out Jacob's ladder during the song.

    And here's where the controversy starts...

    As Kerem 03, we were SO dedicated and very determined to be the first Kerem to win Zimriya since Kerem 98 (which to many of us was the quintessential best Kerem ever). We placed second overall and Maalot won (Yoni I believe you were part of that aydah). Unfortunately, at the beginning of the summer, a member of Maalot 03 died of cancer. The entire camp was devastated and of course Maalot dedicated their Zimriya performance to her. It was a terrible thing to happen and we were all very upset about it. While Maalot's performance was wonderful and heartfelt, I firmly believe to this day that our Kerem deserved to win Zimriya based on merit, performance, and overall dedication. I felt that Maalot received a bit of a sympathy vote, and while their performance was great especially under such terrible circumstances, our performance was even better. I felt that the judges may have favored Maalot (either purposely or perhaps subconsciously) because they knew that the aydah had been through a tragedy and wanted to pick up their spirits. I felt that Kerem 03 did the best performance we could possibly do and we deserved that win. I do not mean to offend any member of Maalot 03-- I have the utmost respect for them.

    Something unusual about my Kerem is that so many people in my aydah genuinely cared about Zimriya. We had very few disinterested people... most of us were very involved. The majority of us wanted to be leaders or just get involved in any way we could. I was a leader in Maalot for Shir Chasidi and it was so amazing to lead the aydah to a winning song and then an overall win.

    Our aydah as a whole also had a very close relationship with our rosh, Steve Shimshak (Kerem 94). He was our counselor or rosh for the majority of our time there... I feel like he was the backbone of our whole aydah. I hope that there are still people at camp who are as amazing as Shimshak.

    I have not been to camp since Kerem 03... it would probably be very strange to go back since so much has changed. If and when I have children, I do plan to send them to Yavneh.

    Aviva Cantor, 1995-2003, Kerem '03

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aviva- thank you so much for you post. I agree on so many of your points, I will touch on almost all of them in later sections.

    Throughout this whole project so far, and in particular when writing the Zimriyah section that I have now completed, I have been able to look at camp (and Zimriyah) from as a very objective view, especially with dealing with aydot that I have been apart of.

    That being said, i will reveal something I am going to say later (sorry K04) Maalot 03 did not deserve to sweep, let alone win Zimriyah. I don't go as far as assuming the reason why (because it is truly impossible to figure out) but inherently from a Zimriyah stand point, Arayot 00-Kerem 03 was fantastic. ( If you keep on reading you will see I reward you guys in other ways as well.) I know the devastation of losing when you expect to win, and harboring the feeling of being robbed is one of the hardest things to give up.

    Its really great to see that it seems that you still feel a really strong connection to your Kerem. You should visit sometime, especially for Zimriyah. I think you'll like it.

    Once again, thanks for the post.

    Yoni

    ReplyDelete
  8. One more thing before I forget-

    There is no question in my mind that the moment of unity for our aydah, the time and space in which our aydah came together was in sweeping that Zimriyah. We gained such confidence and assurance from that victory, and I think the momentum from this event alone carried over into the following summer. I would never give up that moment (as an aydah) for anything.

    Yoni

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm actually one of the few Yavs who didn't come to camp from the New England area, hence why I have never visited. I was born in Boston and lived in Watertown until I was 4. My parents were friends with the Sussmans and always told them I'd go to Yavneh when I was old enough. We moved to Charlotte, North Carolina when I was 4, but my mom still always told me that when I was 8 I could go to Yavneh and she kept her promise. That's also why I could only go 1st month-- school in the south starts in mid to late August, and 2nd month would often end on my first day of school. My Kerem year, I came home from camp with 2 days to get ready for 11th grade (I was exhausted for school, but there was no way I was going to miss the end of my Kerem). Because I lived so far from most of the campers, I never got to go to reunion or other events throughout the year-- it was rough to miss out on it.

    After 9 years at camp and 7 years away from camp I am only regularly in touch with two Yavs: Jared Weber (from my Kerem, who I knew since Gurim) and Nancy Fellner (maiden name Wolf, Kerem 90... she was my Gurim counselor and rosh and we always kept in touch... I was a bridesmaid in her wedding... she went to Yavneh for well over 10 years).

    It's just so nice to know that someone who wasn't in our Kerem remembers us. Though I haven't been at camp since 2003, I have heard many wonderful things about Kerem 04 as well. Apparently a lot of you managed to stick around camp, while my aydah either didn't return after Kerem/Naaleh or faded away a few years later.

    I think that Jared and I would have a blast going back for Zimriya. It would be geographically difficult to manage since I am rarely near New Hampshire, but it's a goal of mine to go back. Maybe some day! Looking forward to reading more :)

    -Aviva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Yoni, this is an awesome diversion from work.
    The Maalot 03 sweep always felt surprising (and also amazing) considering it seemed like our aydah was generally pretty lousy at Zimriyah. It was a worst to first type of moment(Ok we'd beat Gurim most years I think). Afterwards I heard people insist that they couldn't believe it was us(because of the loudness and enthusiasm) when they heard us practicing before Zimriyah that year. I will say that people who in the past were more apathetic to Zimriyah practice (not Yoni of course, but I'll include myself) did seem to get into it a bit more in Maalot and the Shir Aydah excited everyone, too. Going in we were better for sure, I thought. It sounds like Zimriyah's changed a lot. Looking at it right now the talent shows on TV and all of the creative stuff you see on youtube in music videos and performances could definitely lead to everyone pushing the envelope. It's cool that people are really going for it (though when I was 12 I might not have thought that way if it meant more practice!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is in regards to the poll re: gurim and zimriyah! here's a little insight from a 3-time member of tzevet gurim...
    the funny thing is that even if you believe (as I have my suspicions to be the case) that gurim is systematically favored in zimriyah, there are ALWAYS STILL tears at the end, whether we place first or "tie for third." so i'm afraid it's a necessary evil. regardless of how disinterested gurim chanichim are throughout the practices, they always approach the real thing with a do or die attitude. in my former chanichim's defense, you have to give them credit for that. To exclude gurim chanichim from zimriyah would mess with masoret but probably go over fine with the kids. then again, as much as i'm not a zimriyah OR maccabiah person, there is something that just seems inconceivable about either the former or any major aspect of the latter not being a whole-camp thing (INCLUDING GURIM!). This past summer, tzevet gurim put everything on the line for staff zimriyah (and got the win without any judicial bias), which allowed us to shrug off the "tie for third" in the real thing.

    ReplyDelete