Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Top Five- Shir Yisraeli

Please fill out all 3 polls so I can gauge what I should be writing more about.


How do you win Shir Yisraeli?
More than any other Zimriyah song category, I believe that Shir Yisraeli is won by the actual song chosen to be performed. Usually there is not much embellishment (except for Kerem ‘03, to be discussed later) which means pretty standard hand motions and minimal H/S[1], Now, if you asked me last year, I would have said that over the past 5 years, Shir Yisraeli is won in one of two ways. Either you’re Gurim and you pick a cute song that everyone knows, or you pick a super emotional song that represents Israel’s pain and sorrow with a subtle, positive outlook, reflected in both the lyrics as well as the music. Here’s proof: starting in 2005 Leviim won with Zirchonot shel Africa, a song by Ethiopian children documenting their journey to Israel. In 2006 Kerem won with Emtza Ha Liela, a song about the current situation in Israel. In 2007 and 2008 Gurim won with Yerusalim shel Zahav and Elli Elli.[2] And in 2009 Kerem won with Mitachat Lashamayim about a relationship that is plagued by hardship, but ultimately the relationship is rekindled.

After 2009, things changed. This past summer, Leviim did a song a by an Israeli boy band, and Kerem did a song about the African Jungle. Both songs in their own way were very new. I like the change, and I hope it is a sign of what’s to come in the Shir Yisraeli category.

How do you lose Shir Yisraeli? Nowadays? Mashina or anything like Mashina. Period.
 Best Shir Yisraeli
1. Kama Ahava - Leviim ‘10, Place for song: 1st, Overall: 1st
Beautiful. One of the only songs from which I think an aydah could have made money. As I mentioned before, this song falls into that whole new genre of Shir Yisraeli music that has yet to be explored for Zimriyah. I expect that in coming years, counselors and Kerem alike will be looking at songs like this one to decide what constitutes  ‘good’ Shir Yisraeli. There is no question that Kerem ‘12 is setting the bar high.

2. Halo Ya’akov- Maalot ‘02, Place for Song: 2nd, Overall Place: 1st
This is the only song in the top 15 (5 per song category) that I have had a really hard time finding on the Internet. I did find one website that has a translation to a song about Jacob called Halo Yaakov, and considering I remember the activities that Maalot ’02 incorporated into their performance, I am betting that it is the same song. But more than anything else, I remember the effect this song had on the entirety of camp. The lasting outcome of a song is so much more important than most things in Zimriyah when it comes to creating a legacy. Just like Rakevet/ HaSharm el-Sheikah, Kerem ‘03 really knew how to push the envelope and demonstrated this ability with their choice of Shir Yisraeli. During the song, Yehuda Lerea dressed up as Jacob in the Bible, did a short rap number, accompanied by severalgirls in his aydah who were dressed up as angels climbing a ladder.  Even the fog machine made an appearance. It was really cool and creative, and regardless of the fact that it wasn’t exactly singing , I think these types of performances have a significant effect on how people should think about Zimriyah. It’s a performance as much as it is a singing competition.

3. Rakevet/HaSharm el-Sheikah-Kerem ‘03, Place for song 2nd, Overall: 2nd 
Emtza Ha-Laila- Kerem ‘06, Place for Song: 1st, Overall Place: 2nd
Ani Esh- Kerem ‘08, Place for Song: 3rd , Overall Place:  1st

Rakevet/ HaSharm el Sheikah - Even just 8 years ago, a song that won Shir Yisraeli (or should have won in 2003[3]) really has no place anymore in Zimriyah [4]. Kerem ‘03 combined a very somber political song with a fantastic, upbeat, rock song called Rakevet by Mashina. I don’t know if it was intentional or not, but both refer to places in Egypt. Two things really stood out for me about this performance. First, In the middle of the song, there was a part where they all sang ohh ohh ohh…. While doing this, the aydah swayed back and forth together. It was totally mesmerizing. Second, after the swaying segment, the entire aydah ducked down, leaving Jeff Cohen standing as he screamed, “Gila, Gila Kogah Bodi (Gila Gila Kogi’s Body).” At the time, it seemed like jibberish and I only know what the words are because I looked them up. Even now they mean nothing, but at the time, it was a huge statement of power. I absolutely thought Kerem ‘03 had that song in the bag. Clearly the judges thought differently.

Emtza Ha-Laila-  Going into it, I really thought that Arayot (with Ani Yachol La’oof) was going to win this song. However, Kerem delivered a really nice performance with Emtza Ha-Laila. It was melodious and emotional, and I think perfectly represents what the judges want to see for Zimriyah. Josh Goldman, dressed as an Israeli soldier, held up an Israeli flag throughout the performance. It gave the song a beautiful and memorable feel.

Ani Esh- Although gurin wom Shir Yisraeli in 2008 with Elli Elli and Leviim placed second ith Od Nageah, I think Kerem 2008's perfrmance of Ani Esh is certainly up there for the most beautiful songs ever done at Zimriyah. the song didn’t  necessarily have that a “wow” factor that most of the others in these rankings did, but I do remember thinking that I wished most songs in Zimriyah were like this one. It was just a feel good song.


[1] Harmonies/Solos
[2] Come on. Really? Yerusalim Shel Zahav and Elli Elli? And they won with that?
[3] Even though my aydah swept Zimriyah as Maalot ‘03, I am the first one to say that Kerem deserved to win for Shir Israeli that year. Shir Le Shalom doesn’t compare to the creativity that was their medley.
[4] The staff for Maalot ‘08 decided that Mashina (same band who performed Rakevet), was a good choice for Zimriyah. It wasn’t. Zimriyah in the five years since this song has certainly morphed into a different type of category with similarly evolved expectations.

2 comments:

  1. Love the shoutouts for my ayda (Kerem 03/Maalot 02)... we always referred to what you call "Rakevet" as "Bo'ee Dinah"... I'm not sure if that's the real title, but it may help you find it online.

    -Aviva Cantor, K'03

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry-- I meant to say that we called it "Night Train to Cairo" ("Rakevet Laila L'Cair")... maybe that will help you find it online.

    ("Bo'ee Dinah" was our Leviim '01 Shir Yisraeli... I typed the wrong song by accident and this site won't let me edit my previous post.)

    -Aviva Cantor, K'03

    ReplyDelete