Friday, March 11, 2011

A Letter to My Editor

Laurel-

It was only four months ago, right after Thanksgiving, that a camper of mine jokingly told me that I should write about my thoughts on Yavneh.  I liked the idea, but I had to acknowledge that my writing, in general, is quite terrible. I mix up my words and make silly grammatical mistakes. Every English paper that I wrote in high school had to be reviewed by my mother to make corrections. More importantly, even if I did have enough material to write about, there was no way that I could actually find the motivation to write what I had to say logically and coherently, making sure that everything I wrote was reasonable and thoughtful. I needed someone to help. Someone who knew me well, who could put up with my antics, could challenge me intellectually and offer advice. But I was stuck because I knew how much hard work would have to go into helping me. It would not be a simple: Can you glance at this paper and tell me if it’s ok? There would be so much material, so many posts. And when I asked you, Laurel, and warned you how much time and energy would be involved, I was fully expecting you to say no. You had a job and a life, and frankly at the beginning I could find no reason for you to agree.

But you didn’t. You said yes. And from that point on, Laurel, this passionate project took off. I had so much excitement at the beginning, and you helped me harness it. I had some crazy ideas along the way, and you steered me toward the center. My grammar was, as usual, atrocious, and you corrected it flawlessly. We spoke on the phone for hours trying to figure out the best way to say something or the most effective way to get more people to read the blog, and you were there giving great suggestions. Scheduled or not, Laurel, we always ended up talking at least one or two times a week. I know people who don’t talk to their parents that much.

But more than all of this, more than all of the help you have given me, the thing I care most about is your friendship and your support. I really look forward to every weekly conversation, not only because we talk about Yavneh Theory, but because I get to talk to a friend. We have really become the best of friends since the time you didn’t invite me to your Bat Mitzvah (don’t worry I am over it by now) and seem to work well together in a lot of different situations. We went to high school and sat on student council together. Kerem summer, we were both Roshes on the same team for Maccabiah. Debbie placed both of us in Maalot in 2006, and obviously we were both Kerem 2007 counselors. It’s only natural then, Laurel, that three and half years later, we are working on another project together. I know I can trust you and that you can trust me, and for that we make a really great team.

So here’s to you Laurel. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your help over the past few months and for the few months still ahead of us.

Love—
Yoni

4 comments:

  1. Yons,

    I can't begin to tell you how touched I am. Working with you on this is as much a pleasure for me as it is for you, so enough with the thank you's! I'm so thrilled that you allowed me to be part of this project. No matter how busy and/or stressed out I am during the day, I always look forward to our weekly phone/gchat catch ups - both because you talk about your ideas with such a contagious passion that I can't help but get excited, and because, exactly as you said, I get to talk to my friend.

    You really couldn't make my job any easier: you take my suggestions, edits, and even downright criticisms (thankfully not many of these) with such thoughtful acceptance. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's SUCH a pleasure working with you. Looking forward to many more months of Yavneh nerdiness to come :)

    Daf

    ReplyDelete
  2. so how bout those horses and the waterfall in london?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't mom still correct your papers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. no. I think its been a while since she has understood what I am writing about.

    ReplyDelete